Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Parisian Vaca

We've been in Europe!

First, Dessi and I flew to Paris for five days with Aunt Jodi. We rented a little apartment in the Marais and spent our days walking around town, drinking tea and eating crepes.

Here we are at my all-time favorite Paris spot, Sacre Coeur.

Photobucket

We had an absolutely perfect afternoon walking around Montmarte before and afterward, including this quiet little children's park.

Photobucket

I should say, Dessi's favorite thing on this trip was sticking out her tongue and then also opening her mouth up really wide. She would do it to people, and they would laugh and do it back to her. So that while she was on my back (in her pack) on the metro or wherever, I wouldn't be able to see her but then I'd look around and there'd be all these people making faces ... It was pretty funny. The other thing is, she often engages people who are old or all alone or sad-looking ... the people that most of us kind of just look away from. She will wave and wave until they look up, until they smile at her, until they stick their tongue out .. whatever. And she really brightens up the world this way. I wish I had the nerve to do it! Then again, I'm not quite as cute as her so the effect probably wouldn't be the same ...

And here we are missing our friend Stephanie, who works at Century 21 in America. We took this picture in the midsts of a sidewalk flea market and it was ridiculous how long it took to get the photo taken and how annoyed the Parisians who were waiting to cross in front of us were about it.

Photobucket

And here, in front of Le lapin agile, an old pub that was frequented by Picasso, Braques, and other artists of the time. I wanted to go in and sit on one of the barstools, but it was closed in the afternoons.

Photobucket

It was all very easy, except for when it wasn't. Like this time: We were late, we couldn't get the metro to work for us (part of it was closed for construction), and then even my favorite New Yorker (Jodi) couldn't hail a cab. But instead of helping, a Parisian came up and took a picture of me taking a picture of Jodi. He must have been an artist.

Photobucket

I'll write more about Brussels and Germany later. :)

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Sounds like an amazing trip..I'm jealous! I went on my honeymoon and dying to go back. Do you know the book "Time was Soft there"? It's a memoir of a writer who stayed at Shakespeare and Co(the bookstore) it's really interesting, gives a great behind the scenes of artists' life in Paris...maybe you would like it!

Danni and Tommy said...

Europe suits you and little Dessi. I'm thrilled that you were able to spend time in Paris (which is one of my very favorite cities) and can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip.
I've been missing you and thought this morning that I need to write to you. Now I know that you've been fabulously touring Europe. I like that. Please give Dessi a squeeze for me.